Growing up, my mom firmly believed that toys without an on/off button were the best toys. My brother and I played mostly with blocks, stuffed animals, and read a lot of books; and in addition to those, we both had our own stick horses that we used to ride around on in our backyard.
When I saw the “Giddy Up” pattern from Melly & Me, I thought it was just about the cutest and funniest thing I had ever seen. If you had asked me, a twenty year-old college student, if I would have ever thought of making a stick horse, I would have said “Absolutely not!”, but it was too fun of a concept not make up as a sample for the store!
Pattern: “Giddy Up” from Melly & Me
Materials: 36 in of a 1″ dowel rod, poly fil, 2 buttons, felt scraps, fusible fleece, sturdy needle
- Yellow Butterflies by Heather Ross (1/2 yard for horse head),
- Starlight Blossom by Elizabeth Hartman (1/2 yard for rein and bridle),
- Ditzy Flower Green by Regent Street Lawns (1/2 yard for pole cover and ears),
- Tara’s Firework by Michael Miller (fat quarter for mane accent)
Time Required: About an afternoon
When it came to my fabric selection, I wanted my choice to be bold and bright, because on a children’s toy, you can use fabric combinations that wouldn’t normally work on other projects. The butterfly print adds to the whimsy of the project, while the other prints add a balance to keep the horse from becoming overly girly and sweet. This is the ultimate project for using all those fun novelty prints in your stash!
If you’re looking to make a “Giddy Up” horse for a little boy, we think that these fabrics would make a really cute version that give a bit of a western flare!
This would make an amazing gift for any child in your life! It’ll inspire afternoons full of creativity and adventure, as well as being project you will enjoy making!
I have a couple tips for how to make this project even easier for you:
- Appliqué the felt eyes onto the head pieces before you sew them together. This will avoid some hand sewing and make the process go faster.
- I added a little tie around the bottom of the horse head for some added cute factor. I made it out of the same fabric as the reins in order to tie it into my color scheme.
- If I made this project again, I would add some lightweight interfacing (sf101 is a good option) to the ear pieces in order to help them stand up on their own a little better.
I love how this stick horse turned out and it was a really fun sample to make for the shop. Projects like these are why I love making samples for Urban Spools; it allows me to try new patterns and techniques that I wouldn’t normally make for myself and learn a lot in the process!